Monday, March 26, 2007

Punk Love, and How I Got My Mojo Back


I stumbled across the book Punk Love, by Susie J. Horgan, at my local book store recently, and I highly recommend taking a look at it. This book documents the early ‘80’s Washington, DC, hardcore scene through photos taken by the author, and includes writing from Henry Rollins and Ian MacKaye. I was drawn to this book because I have always loved the above photo (shot by Horgan) from Minor Threat’s first album. Horgan’s photographs of early DC bands such as Minor Threat and Black Flag truly capture the DIY ethos and intensity that defined these incredible bands. The cool thing about these photos is that Horgan was not an outsider journalist trying to capture the image of the music for some magazine, she was a friend of the musicians and had access to their lives (she met Henry Rollins when he hired her to work with him at a Georgetown Haagen-Dazs ice cream shop).

The author and her photos are hitting the road this spring. Check it out.

April 5:
Gallery exhibit & presentation @ Powell's bookstore in Portland, OR

May 4:
Book signing @ Artifacts 20th Century in Northampton, MA.


In other news, I am back to riding my bike to work, and am slowly starting to feel healthier and stronger again. The cold and wet winter weather forced me into a six week hiatus. I didn’t realize how much I missed it until I started riding again. I scored a new 44 tooth titanium chainring from my local bike shop for $20, so now I’m not spinning as much as with the old one. This new gear ratio of 44/18 seems ideal for our relatively flat riding around here.


Listening to: M. Ward- Post-War

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ride baby, ride!

Rambling Canuck said...

Thanks for the tip on the Powell's gig. I'll have to check her out. This also reminds me of this killer calendar my friend in Vancouver just sent. It's promoted by this freak I went to high school with who goes by the name Nardwuar. He teamed with photog Bev Davies to create a killer calendar containing tons of old punk photos from her archives. Each month is a different pic with a Q&A with Bev.

Good stuff: http://nardwuar.com/calendar/

I should post my own info on this. Probably will.

Be good, JMH. Be good.