Sunday, September 16, 2007

Austin City Limits Music Fest- Day 2


After last night, I needed a down day to recuperate. We didn’t get to the park until almost 3:00pm and headed over to the stage where Steve Earle was to play. Seeing Steve Earle was one of the few acts that I told myself I would not miss this year. I have been a big fan of his music since high school when Guitar Town came out and I was immediately sold on his brand of story telling. He can play the Texas singer role, but he also has that punk ethos and can really rock out with his band. This time around he played an acoustic set, and for much of the show it was just him and his guitars, except for when he was joined onstage for a few songs with his wife, Alison Moorer. Never being one to settle, Earle had a DJ backing him on some songs, which worked for the most part. Should be interesting to hear how it sounds on his new album. Part of me wished he had played with a full band, but seeing this legend was still the best part of the day for me.

After Steve Earle, we jetted over to catch Andrew Bird, another artist I really wanted to see live. I was expecting a mellow show from this violin player and his band, but I was pleasantly surprised by a sound so unique and original I don’t even know how to describe it. He would loop tracks from his violin and guitar and layer them on top of the drums and bass from his bandmates. He also had a spinning gramophone machine that looked like something out of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Very cool sound, and an artist I will definitely keep up with from now on.

After riding back to the house, we caught a ride to La Rena for some outstanding Tex-Mex and margaritas, then headed over to the Flamingo Cantina on 6th Street to listen to the sweet roots sounds of The Meditations. Turns out there are a lot of rastafarians in Texas.

No comments: