Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fall Century



Completed the Charles River Wheelmen Soughegan River Century on the 21st. It was a very scenic route, rural back roads, mountain views, and not one stoplight for 100+ miles. To say this ride was a "little hilly" is the understatement of the year. It was pretty much uphill the first 50 miles, the second 50 had less climbing, though it still had 3 or 4 long sections, and my knees were paying the price by then. My goal was to finish in under 6 hours, and we rolled across the finish line in 6 hours 20 minutes. Averaged 17 mph/hr., not too bad considering I wasn't expecting all the hills, and I hadn't trained much since the Pan Mass Challenge back in August. Commuting to work 12 miles a day just doesn't prepare one's legs and lungs for 100 miles of climbing. Hopefully I can sneak in a few more long rides before winter closes in. Fall is a great time for riding here.

Listening to: TV On The Radio- Return to Cookie Mountain

2 comments:

The Editor said...

Nice blog man. I see you brew beer, I have not tried to do beer yet, I have been brewing all sorts of wine for years, but I would like to try beer soon. Also, how much did that sweet front rack cost you? I need to find one of those.

Anonymous said...

Well done, amigo. Soma still treating you well?