Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives

I just finished watching the NOVA documentary film “Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives”, which follows the journey of Mark Oliver Everett (leader of the band Eels), as he tries to unravel the theories and writings of his late father, quantum physicist Hugh Everett III. The film follows Mark as he meets with his father's old colleagues and contemporaries, slowly unraveling the life of one of the greatest scientists of the last century. I have a hard time wrapping my head around quantum physics and parallel universes, but for me the real story is that of a son trying to learn more about his late father. I’ve been listening to Eels music for years, but now the lyrics, many of which reference his father and the suicide of his sister, make more sense to me now. Great film, and highly recommended if you can catch it on your local PBS channel.

View the PBS trailer for "Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives” below:



Eels- Things The Grandchildren Should Know (Live):

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you and I live "parallel lives"...I watched the same show. Very interesting show. I knew E had a messed up life, but this puts it in perspective.