Monday, April 20, 2009

1o Things to Do Before I Die (Revisited)

I love lists. One of my very first posts listed ten things I felt like I wanted to accomplish before my time was up. My life hasn't changed much in four years, I'm still living in the same house and teaching 5th grade, but I thought it was time to revisit and possibly update the list.

Here's the original from 2005:

Below is a list of ten things I want to do before I die, in no particular order.
  1. Travel to Cuba.
  2. Build a house.
  3. Kayak the entire length of the Columbia River.
  4. Really learn to play the guitar, not just the 3 chords I know now.
  5. Surf in Hawaii.
  6. Attend Jazz Fest in New Orleans.
  7. Work at a winery.
  8. Spend a month without seeing or speaking to another person.
  9. See my kids graduate from college.
  10. Retire in Hood River, Oregon.

And here's the new list:
  1. Travel to Cuba.
  2. Build a boat.
  3. Bicycle across the northern United States.
  4. Learn to sail (I've done some sailing, but would not feel confident with others on board).
  5. Hike in Patagonia.
  6. Live off the grid in Maine with my family for a summer.
  7. Work at a bike shop.
  8. Have something I've written be published.
  9. See my kids graduate from college.
  10. Retire in Bend, Oregon (more sunny days than Hood River).

2 comments:

Rambling Canuck said...

Dude, you're already published - right here!

And you should buy in Bend now - it's apparently a ghost town, absolutely no jobs. I heard places in Sun River are going for about $80K. Sun River!!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I heard not long ago that Deschutes County was foreclosing at a rate of 10 homes a day. Craziness.

I'd also love to learn to sail, my brother learned but by the time I was old enough the rowboat was king and the sailboat sat on the back burner.